German: The Gaffer Really Wants To Win

I wrote earlier in the week about Peter Ramage's reaction to the Cardiff defeat and his motivation for the rest of the season. As a player who was established in the QPR side but has recently had to battle to retain a starting place, Ramage was clearly aware of the need to win over manager Neil Warnock between now and the end of the season, with the summer likely to bring a flurry of activity in and possibly out of the QPR squad.

If it's true of Ramage, it is equally true of younger players starting out in their careers and waiting for their big break to cement a first-team place. 18-year old striker, Antonio German, has already travelled some way down that road this season by making 12 appearances for QPR and scoring twice. He and fellow forward Rowan Vine, who is also desperate to make an impression on Warnock due to a lack of playing time this season, were both preferred to Jay Simpson and Tamas Priskin in Tuesday night's 1-0 win over Watford and the manager may choose to give both players a further chance to stake their claim for tomorrow's visit to Barnsley.

Speaking to QPR Player, German said: "We have to pick up three points and the gaffer really wants to win that."

After the trip to Barnsley, there is just one fixture left for the R's when they get the chance to welcome champions Newcastle on the final day of the season. It was a game with the aura of a promotion six-pointer when the fixture list was drawn up but unfortunately for the R's, they've spent most of this season at the wrong end of the table. They won't be joining in the Geordies' celebrations then, but the draw of clashing with Newcastle should at least ensure a decent crowd and atmosphere as the curtain closes on a frustrating campaign.

Again, the young striker was looking at the game from a positive angle.

"Newcastle is the biggest game of the season, for me anyway, because actually I've got a chance of playing in that game which I didn't think I would have this time last season."

A desire to make a mark on these games is heightened by some of the manager's public comments, particularly on the need for new blood, most of all in the forward line.

"I can understand that though", said German.

"Next season we need, I'm not going to say get promoted, but we need to finish in a reasonable position. And the manager's obviously seen that we need strikers and I can understand that. Even though I am a striker myself, I still need to improve and work hard and see where that takes me."

One key requirement for Warnock when it comes to attackers seems to be physical strength and build and just as Ramage could be offering a late answer to his defensive headaches, German certainly ticks the box when it comes to the battling, hustle and bustle style of Championship football. Rarely knocked off the ball or cowed by more experienced players, his natural confidence and tireless work rate have won him a lot of fans this season.

"I can say that's one of my strengths - the physical side of the game. He (Warnock) likes that so I'm really happy that I've got that," he said.

Despite that, he remains fairly modest and realistic in his aims for next season.

"To stay in the first team," he said.

"In and around the first team. Even if I don't start the games, I'd rather be on the bench. It's better than nothing."

Posted in Labels: |