Warnock Rubbishes QPR Link... And Linesman


Potential QPR managerial target Neil Warnock is not in the best mood right now, so unsurprisingly he doesn't appear to be keen to amass further headaches by joining Rangers.

QPR's own boss, Mick Harford, isn't the only one who could be having sleepless nights and Warnock, whose Crystal Palace side were docked ten points after going into administration at the end of last month, was still seething after his side's 2-2 FA Cup draw with Aston Villa on Sunday.

Warnock was linked with the QPR job last week but denied any contact with Rangers in an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live today and Villa's equaliser was a greater source of concern for him.

A wonderful free-kick from free-scoring Darren Ambrose looked to be sending Palace to a shock win over Villa and a place in the quarter-finals but the visitors were erroneously awarded a corner with three minutes to go when the ball deflected out off their own player, Nathan Delfouneso.

From the subsequent set-piece, Stiliyan Petrov stole in at the near post to head in an equaliser.

Warnock's reaction was characteristically furious despite Palace still earning a Villa Park replay which will keep the administrators happy, going so far as to suggest that the linesman, Mr Massey, should be suspended for the foreseeable future.

"It's disappointing, it's bitter, it's a disgrace," said Warnock.

"The ball comes off Delfouneso and the officials wait to see which way they should give it... and it's a Premier League team losing 2-1, so we'll give it to them.

"I spoke with Mr Massey and what he said was: 'When I watch it at home, if I was wrong, then I may be suspended.'

"Well I don't feel any sympathy if he is suspended.

"I hope it's for a long time."

Lothar Matthaus and Warnock are two managers linked with the QPR job in the last week alone as Mick Harford struggles for positive results, a trend which was exacerbated at the weekend with a fifth defeat in six games against Coventry City.

But despite admitting to being far from happy at Palace right now, Warnock insists he hasn't spoken to QPR.

"It's an insecure time at the moment.

"The administrator said to me last week that new owners could come in within a fortnight and they might not want you.

"So all I do now is plan for the next game.

"I'm planning to be here for the Reading game on Wednesday and the (FA Cup) replay.

"If I said I was happy I'd be lying.

"I'm not very happy at all at the moment, I still don't understand why we were forced to go into administration."

It seems that for now even a club in administration is a more attractive proposition than Queens Park Rangers.

Posted in Labels: , |